Friday 13 January 2012

First snow fall this season

So Toronto finally had it's first snow fall of the year. Finally! Coming from Montreal, I love when it snows, sure the slushy part isn't fun, but it looks so pretty and there are so many fun activities that you can do. Skiing- downhill (which I tried 3 times and almost killed myself each time, so not for me) or cross-country (which I love, I use to go with my mom all the time on weekends) , skating- which I always did with my dad and have such great memories, snowshoeing, sledding and let's not forget the most fun activity, shovelling the snow. I know, I know it sounds crazy but I do enjoy shovelling the snow. Don't ask why, but I do. It relaxes me for some reason.

So after shovelling for the first time since last year, I decided to look at some other blogs and  I came across one blog that shared a segment of the show "the Drs" which I found was interesting.  In this segment, the dr.'s are talking about the vegan diet and sharing their information on it. What often bugs me about people who share their thoughts about something they don;t know much about it is that they only see it from their point of view. I'll let you watch it and let you have your own opinions.

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/main/home_page?init_type=Feature&init_id=5061%E2%80%8F

I have to share, can't keep it in. First, the gynaecologist seemed very defencive to me stating that pregnant women do not get enough of vitamins from just a plant source diet and that they need to eat meat. Did you ever think about where these cows, pigs and other animals get their food? Well let me tell you. Grass and grains! Yes some animals hunt, but the ones that we mostly eat eat grass and grains, which is what again? A plant based diet. Interesting? Do you see where I'm going with this? Then there was Gillian saying that she tried the plant based diet and that it wasn't good for her and that she is very healthy and has a lean body. It's not about only being lean, it's also about being healthy and eating the right type of food.

Please do not get me wrong, I am not saying that everyone should become vegan. All I am saying is that people should be more open-minded and should really do their research before stating something on national television. Everyone should look into this. I think people would be really surprised.

On a lighter note, I want to share with you my dinner from last night that my hubby helped me with.



                                          Sweet Potato Latkes with stuffed portobello mushrooms

Recipe:

Sweet potato latkes:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 green onions or 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons of flax seeds
- 1/4 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of flour ( I used chickpea flour)
- salt to taste

Directions:
- blend the flax seeds with water until you have a thick consistency
- grate the potato and the green onions or onion
- mix the flax seed and the potato mixture together
-add the chickpea flour, mix properly with your hands
- fry them on medium heat (be careful they burn easily)

Stuffed portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of mashed chickpeas
-1 onion
-2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup of ground almonds
- 1 grated zucchini
- 4-5 cremini mushrooms
-7-8 large portobello mushrooms
spices: 1 teaspoon of each turmeric, hot chill flakes, ground garlic powder, marjoram , salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
- in a skillet, heat up your onions with the garlic
- add the mushrooms
- after 5 minutes, add the chickpeas, ground almonds, and zucchini
- add the spices
- once ready, stuff the portobello mushrooms with the mixture
-add daiya cheese and a tomato

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment